Re: SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test

Subject: Re: SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:55 am ((PDT))
Paul Jacobson wrote:

> As I understand it, there would be roughly 1dB difference in the referenc=
e level depending if you measure at the transition point from -1dBFS to 0dB=
FS, or from 0dBFS to clipping.  As long as a set of measurement's are consi=
stent - as I'm sure yours are - to be this wouldn't be an issue.

Hi Paul,

yes, I did all my measurements in the same way - so they should be consiste=
nt.

Actually, I'm using a known 1 kHz sine reference signal (-62.5 dBu) that ca=
n be recorded on all recorders without clipping. I then calculate the theor=
etic clipping level from the corresponding dBFS level. So, my clipping leve=
ls can be interpreted as measurement ranges of the recorders at the maximum=
 gain settings.

Regards,
Raimund