6. Re: M/S recording setup

Subject: 6. Re: M/S recording setup
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 pm ((PDT))
James Shatto, you wrote re post-processing of MS recordings:

> Yes the sample rate remains the same.  Yes the file size probably remains=
 the same.  And yes the duration of the recording stays the same.  But I fi=
nd it hard to believe that a twice edited digital file (L/R -> M/S -> L/R) =
is a bit for bit exact copy of the original(even if you exclude the headers=
 from the comparison).

I wouldn't expect it would be, but the "generation loss" would be down in t=
he noise bits and insignificant. MS equalization is quite commonly done in =
mastering suites, where you find the best monitors and ears in the business=
.

> Not that any differences are audible to most people.  Or reproduce-able b=
y a lot of cheap audio equipment.

I suggest that the difference would not be audible under -any- condition, a=
nd I'm willing to lend you a double-blind comparator system if you want to =
design and report on a serious experiment. A better question might be "with=
 24-bit files, how many generations of LR-MS-LR can you make before a degra=
dation becomes audible?"

> Of course the sample count is the same, you're saving out to a file of th=
e same sample rate, same number of channels, and same duration.  Independen=
t of actual content.  Why would the count of bits change?  But is the CONTE=
NT of the bits an EXACT match to the original after edits?  If you need to =
do other edits like noise reduction to S, that little bit of irregularity c=
an severely affect the effectiveness of the noise filter.

> I suppose I'm going to have to come up with a script to prove my point.  =
Perhaps submit a proposal to myth busters.  But then again, what is the poi=
nt, that open source audio tools are flawed?  That 32 bit FPU's are inaccur=
ate?  Analog rules /  Digital sucks?

When I worked as a theatrical sound designer, I would edit and play the mas=
ter tapes for the performances. Others thought I was crazy and always used =
dubs, locking the masters away for security, but the losses from just one g=
eneration of tape copy were so obvious that I felt I owed the audience the =
best experience. In a professional production environment (Shakespeare fest=
ival, regional repertory theater) accidental damage to the masters was extr=
emely rare.

Now with file-based production it's a whole new ball game. I'm not nostalgi=
c for tubes or tape.

-Dan