1. Re: M/S recording setup

Subject: 1. Re: M/S recording setup
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:24 am ((PDT))

> Given that I'm persevering with this setup, I suppose I should get
> rid of the Y loom and run two separate cables from the M and S mics
> so that I have two separate channels for M and S? Or can I keep the
> Y loom? According to Ambient, the manufacturer of the Emesser figure
> of 8 mic, the Y loom 'outputs both M and S signals in a standard
> balanced 5 pin XLR'  - but I'm not quite sure what that means (and I
> haven't heard back from them yet). Are the M and S still separated
> somehow when they run through the 5-pin XLR into the mixer? How will
> I distinguish the two channels when I bring the files into the
> editing suite?

If you have two mikes with three-pin XLR outputs, and a loom that c
for the two mikes. At the recorder end you would need a similar loom
to split the signals back out to two 3-pin XLRs to plug into your
recorder.  This arrangement keeps you from having to wrestle with two
separate cables all the way from the mikes to the recorder, often
resulting in less handling noise.

One way to ID which signal is which is to 'slate' the recording. Snap
your fingers in front of the mid mike, then snap fingers to the left
of the array and to the right of the array. The track that has clearer
sound of the latter two snaps should be your S channel.

The S mike should be oriented such that its 'front' (usually the side
of the mike with the logo) is aimed to the left of the array.
Otherwise you'll wind up with an inversion of the stereo field when
you decode.