Re: carry bag

Subject: Re: carry bag
From: "Richard Folwell" richardfolwell
Date: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:33 am ((PDT))
On my only field trip to date I had, purely due to lack of time to
organize kit properly:
 - a Decathlon day sac that I had already, with a camera compartment
 - a cheap shopping bag which I bought when I got there

This combination did work, but was very uncomfortable. All the important
stuff - water, insect repellent, etc - went in the day sac, and the
Rycote blimp with microphone, plus a small tripod, went in the shopping
bag, slung over one shoulder.  It worked, but was inconvenient for
scrambling/climbing, and I will definitely try in the future to have a
backpack big enough to take everything. (Though it is good to know that
if all else fails this combination is workable.)

I am still not understanding how people can get good recordings on the
fly while walking.  Most of my attempts ended up with excessive handling
noise - though this might have been due to the microphone I was using.
Most of the good stuff was done with the microphone mounted on a tripod,
recorder slung in a bag below it, me as far away from the rig as
possible.  The only exceptions were a couple of recordings done with the
pocket recorder built-in mics, which were OK, but given a chance to
re-do I would somehow find a way to use better external mics.

Richard