Re: New member inquiry

Subject: Re: New member inquiry
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:16 pm ((PDT))
At 10:56 PM -0600 8/11/10, GP wrote:

>Hi Rob,
>In my reading the difference between the shotgun and parabolic
>indicated the parabolic will give me more room as most of the
>animals, bison, are in the National Park and 25 yards is the limit
>of approach. I would prefer to record close up.
>The bison are roamers and stands will not work, moving with the
>animals will be required. Ambient noise includes traffic, voices,
>etc., access this year will be limited but over the next few years
>early access with few distractions may be possible.
>Budget? Well some degree of flex is possible: as a novice it has
>been suggested the recorder need not be very expensive (a few
>hundred dollars) but my inquires indicate if the parabolic is
>required this will be a couple thousand? Once the equipment is
>better defined then the decision will be made, at the moment I'm
>open to suggestions. The main portion of the rut occurs in Aug. so I
>may miss this year but given the detours as obsticles this year day
>may be a blessing.
>gp

Gary--
Out of curiosity, do you know if there is a location where the
animals roam further away from the roads? The Park might assist you
with finding a spot where you can record their communications  with a
recorder that you set-up and leave to run for a day or two.  A good
deal of their interaction is probably at night and there are ways to
get very rich recordings of distant sounds. Think of it as acoustic
"framing."  You might get some unique and wonderful stuff that way,..
Rob D.

  =3D =3D