finding audio & location resources for birds

Subject: finding audio & location resources for birds
From: "bleublancrouge24" bleublancrouge24
Date: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:48 am ((PDT))
Hello all,
I am looking for a comprehensive resource where i can type in a standard
bird name or ornithological equivalent and play a recording of that bird
in question. Along with that i am looking for information to come up
that lets me know where that bird can be found in the world. Yes, for
all continents.
Or maybe there is something that will do that in the reverse, where i
can type in a location and a list of all the birds from that area will
come up along with the audio. This would be extremely helpful to me.
The reason being, that i am a sound editor/supervisor in film and tv.
For some of my projects, i need to be accurate in the nature i edit in.
Because i'm not that familiar with different calls I would want to start
studying and memorizing the more common names and what these birds sound
like.
I have come across many web sites where i can find lists of birds and
locations but the problem is, that i don't know where i can go to have
audio recordings as well.
Sometimes i need to find out what birds certain recordings contain. I
work with prerecorded libraries, and sometimes there is nothing more
that a description of "forest day windy" on it, or "south america
jungle", and i have no idea what kind of birds there are and where this
recording was done. I want to be able to pick out the more common bird
songs and know what they are. That way i will be able to use the correct
recordings with the location in the story I'm working on.
This will not only help me out with work but it will also help grow my
appreciation for nature. i've always felt at ease in the country. i
remember as a kid i would count the days when i would be able to go off
to summer camp for as long as i could. it was a welcome change from
growing up in the city of Montreal.
I've only recently come across this group and it has opened me up to
nature recording for pleasure. i've recently put together a recording
rig and now i can record both for work and for myself. i've heard some
amazing locations stemming from links in this group and i think i've
come across a hidden passion  inside. now i need to now what i
recording.
so if you can help me out with such a resource it would be greatly
appreciated. North, Central and South America and Europe are essential.
But if there was a way to know about African, Asian, Australian (& NZ)
bird recordings, it would be a gem of a resource for me.
You can email me off list if you prefer, peterlopata at yahoo dot com.
cheers,
P. mpse

ps: some things I've found...-macaulaylibrary.org problems is searching
under location i don't get common names, just scientific names.-The
Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics (blb.biosci.ohio-state.edu) is good,
but i would like to search by location.-The British Library: Sound
Archive Catalogue lets me search location or names but has no audio to
play on line.-www.naturesongs.com have North American and Costa Rica
only.