Re: New Member - Looking for Microphone Suggestions

Subject: Re: New Member - Looking for Microphone Suggestions
From: "Andrew" rustlesandwaves
Date: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:12 pm ((PDT))

Hi M,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure of the budget for the mic at the m=
oment, probably between =A3200 to =A3400. The thing I like about the PMD661=
 is that I can use it with the onboard mics intially, then get a mic a litt=
le later. So I have plenty of time to look around at the options.

I also like that the PMD661 is quite small so I can keep it handy for quick=
 recording of those unexpected weather conditions. One concern is that the =
S/N Ratio (IEC-A Weighted) is only quoted as 65 dB for the onbaord mics. Se=
ems a bit low considering the rest of the spec.

There are an increasing number of options for recorders with both onboard m=
ics and xlr inputs. So I have my work cut out checking out both recorders a=
nd mics.

I'm aware that some mics are designed for studio use and would not be good =
field mics. I'm learning about the specs to check, such as humidity and tem=
perature ranges.

Cheers

Andrew

--- In  Marinos Koutsomichalis <=
.> wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> you don' t mention how much you plan to spend- and this will be crucial..
>
> anyway,
>
> I use a marantz PMD661 - and I' m very satisfied with it - you might want=
 to check fostex FR-2 LE though, its pre-amps are slightly better - I prefe=
r the marantz because its more rugged, but that' s sth personal

> for a wide stereo field you have to use either a fixed stereo microphone =
(like the rode NT-4, Audio Technica has a couple too, etc), or two seperate=
 mics in some stereo rig (MS, ORTF, coincide cardiods, spaced omni, etc). I=
t' s not only a matter of  what microphone, but also a matter of how you pl=
an to use them and under what circumstances. MS stereo is the standard for =
the TV industry. I won' t suggest anything as the options vast and the resu=
lts would varry dramatically depending the method you want to use.

> for the focused recordings you could try the legendary sennheiser MKH416 =
or similar - I use it myself and I definitely love it !! a great mic ! or y=
ou could consider the option of a telinga parabolic mic - especially if you=
 are into birds this would be a great choice. I don' t own one, but I borro=
wed one once, and It' s a great mic, as well !! I plan to buy one on first =
opportunity.

> Bare in mind that whatever you choose you need some wind protection and t=
his of course depends on what you choose.. A rycotte basket or similar is t=
he best option, but it is expensive and you can only fit one mic in most ca=
ses (though this is not always true - for example you can fit an MS rig ins=
ide one, or a couple of DPA omnis, etc). A cheaper alternative is to use ro=
de' s dead kittens - but don' t expect the same results.

> Another thing to bare in mind is that not all mics are intended for all p=
laces.. Some mics are primary for studio use and do not operate well in the=
 field. Most microphones are sensitive in humidity - if you plan to use the=
m in some really 'wet' place then you should go for sth special.