New Member - Looking for Microphone Suggestions

Subject: New Member - Looking for Microphone Suggestions
From: "Andrew" rustlesandwaves
Date: Sun Aug 8, 2010 12:50 pm ((PDT))
Hi All,

I have just joined this group, which looks like an excellent source of info=
rmation.

I'm an amateur musician who has previously worked as a Sound Programmer in =
the music industry. I have a 1st class degree in Music Instrument Technolog=
y, so have a good grounding in musical acoustics, technology and tuning the=
ory. Currently earning my living as a developer of a case management system=
, but such is life.

I joined this group because I am planning to use natural recordings in my m=
usic, and possibly collaborate with creative nature film makers. Rather tha=
n simply use the recordings as ambient links, I am planning to build compos=
itions around natural textured soundscapes and melodic elements from birdso=
ng. For this I will need to record both a wide stereo field capturing all a=
mbient noise and more directed recordings. I would also like to capture nat=
ural soundscapes in windy and stormy conditions, which could be problematic=
.

I already have a good music recording workstation set up with plenty of phy=
sical modeling synthesis resources and a couple of Apple Macs with Korg Oas=
ys PCI cards. I now need to sort out the field recording equipment.

I have done some research on the equipment currently available and plan to =
get a Marantz PMD661 as it seems to combine the quality, portability and ex=
pansion options I am looking for. The fact it can be used on its own or wit=
h the high quality XLR mic inputs is ideal.

I haven't checked out the microphone options, so any suggestions would be v=
ery welcome. In particular the ability to switch between a wide and focusse=
d field on a shotgun microphone would be required, and a very good wind shi=
eld. Anyone know any particularly good mics for windy conditions but that a=
lso have high sensitivity?

Of course I expect to build up a range of mics to suit different conditions=
, but need a good starting point. Sennheiser or Edirol seem to have some mi=
cs that could fit the bill.

I'm UK based and if anyone is interested in my music, then you can check it=
 out at http://www.myspace.com/rustlesandwaves.

Any film makers who frequent this group and who may be interested in collab=
orating then please email me at:

Thanks for reading.

Kind regards

Andrew Gooding