Re: New Member - Looking for Microphone Suggestions

Subject: Re: New Member - Looking for Microphone Suggestions
From: "Marinos Koutsomichalis" marinoskouts=
omichalis
Date: Sun Aug 8, 2010 3:43 pm ((PDT))

Hello Andrew,

you don' t mention how much you plan to spend- and this will be crucial..

anyway,

I use a marantz PMD661 - and I' m very satisfied with it - you might want t=
o check fostex FR-2 LE though, its pre-amps are slightly better - I prefer =
the marantz because its more rugged, but that' s sth personal

for a wide stereo field you have to use either a fixed stereo microphone (l=
ike the rode NT-4, Audio Technica has a couple too, etc), or two seperate m=
ics in some stereo rig (MS, ORTF, coincide cardiods, spaced omni, etc). It'=
 s not only a matter of  what microphone, but also a matter of how you plan=
 to use them and under what circumstances. MS stereo is the standard for th=
e TV industry. I won' t suggest anything as the options vast and the result=
s would varry dramatically depending the method you want to use.

for the focused recordings you could try the legendary sennheiser MKH416 or=
 similar - I use it myself and I definitely love it !! a great mic ! or you=
 could consider the option of a telinga parabolic mic - especially if you a=
re into birds this would be a great choice. I don' t own one, but I borrowe=
d one once, and It' s a great mic, as well !! I plan to buy one on first op=
portunity.

Bare in mind that whatever you choose you need some wind protection and thi=
s of course depends on what you choose.. A rycotte basket or similar is the=
 best option, but it is expensive and you can only fit one mic in most case=
s (though this is not always true - for example you can fit an MS rig insid=
e one, or a couple of DPA omnis, etc). A cheaper alternative is to use rode=
' s dead kittens - but don' t expect the same results.

Another thing to bare in mind is that not all mics are intended for all pla=
ces.. Some mics are primary for studio use and do not operate well in the f=
ield. Most microphones are sensitive in humidity - if you plan to use them =
in some really 'wet' place then you should go for sth special.

cheerZ

On 08 =CE=91=CF=85=CE=B3 2010, at 10:48 =CE=BC.=CE=BC., Andrew wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just joined this group, which looks like an excellent source of in=
formation.

> I'm an amateur musician who has previously worked as a Sound Programmer i=
n the music industry. I have a 1st class degree in Music Instrument Technol=
ogy, so have a good grounding in musical acoustics, technology and tuning t=
heory. Currently earning my living as a developer of a case management syst=
em, but such is life.

> I joined this group because I am planning to use natural recordings in my=
 music, and possibly collaborate with creative nature film makers. Rather t=
han simply use the recordings as ambient links, I am planning to build comp=
ositions around natural textured soundscapes and melodic elements from bird=
song. For this I will need to record both a wide stereo field capturing all=
 ambient noise and more directed recordings. I would also like to capture n=
atural soundscapes in windy and stormy conditions, which could be problemat=
ic.

> I already have a good music recording workstation set up with plenty of p=
hysical modeling synthesis resources and a couple of Apple Macs with Korg O=
asys PCI cards. I now need to sort out the field recording equipment.

> I have done some research on the equipment currently available and plan t=
o get a Marantz PMD661 as it seems to combine the quality, portability and =
expansion options I am looking for. The fact it can be used on its own or w=
ith the high quality XLR mic inputs is ideal.

> I haven't checked out the microphone options, so any suggestions would be=
 very welcome. In particular the ability to switch between a wide and focus=
sed field on a shotgun microphone would be required, and a very good wind s=
hield. Anyone know any particularly good mics for windy conditions but that=
 also have high sensitivity?

> Of course I expect to build up a range of mics to suit different conditio=
ns, but need a good starting point. Sennheiser or Edirol seem to have some =
mics that could fit the bill.

it out at http://www.myspace.com/rustlesandwaves.

> Any film makers who frequent this group and who may be interested in coll=
aborating then please email me at: