Re: Sennheiser 80x0 series. was Infrasound microphone

Subject: Re: Sennheiser 80x0 series. was Infrasound microphone
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Aug 8, 2010 10:12 pm ((PDT))
>> Before taking the plunge into expensive mics, I'd consider buying a
>> pair of AT04022's and start experimenting with array options. Arrays
>> make a huge difference and it takes a while to learn what the
>> strength and weaknesses of the various options are. The low end
>> response of the AT4022's is on par with mkh's.  Rob D.
>>

> Sorry for the delay.  As previously stated, at the bottom of every AT mic=
 spec sheet is the clause:

> -----
> Avoid leaving the microphone in the open sun or in areas where temperatur=
es exceed 110F (43C) for extended periods.  Extremely high humidity should =
also be avoided.
> -----
>
> If it wasn't for the environmental concern, I would very much like a pair=
 of those.  But I live in Texas and it's going to be 100F+ everyday this we=
ek.  And my intent is all weather recording.  Including rain and/or direct =
sunlight.  Not that I've fully figured that one out yet.  But I have a few =
ideals.  90%+ of my recorded content happens outdoors.

> Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of AT mics.  I've owned 3 of them, and=
 still have two of those.  But I live in Texas.  And at $500 per channel, t=
hat's a risk I'd rather not take.  From what I recall of the MKH mics they'=
re rated somewhere near 160F.  Or I could be wrong.  110F just doesn't cut =
it where I live.  Maybe that's not a real spec and AT is just being cautiou=
s.  But if it is a real spec, that one is a deal breaker.

I have six AT-3032s plus two extra capsules (the threads are glued but they=
 can be removed...). I usually leave them out overnight in the recording lo=
cation. Of the nine or ten capsules I have had experience with three or fou=
r have developed sputters when cold or damp. They will replace them in the =
warranty period (don't wrench the capsules off till the warranty expires). =
I think last time I bought a capsule only they charged $70 for it.

-Dan