Re: Wolf pup vs Coyotes...

Subject: Re: Wolf pup vs Coyotes...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Aug 4, 2010 8:04 am ((PDT))
Hi Tim--
Welcome to the group!
What you suggest is especially beneficial in teaching oneself to
locate some of the "notes" or sinusoidal waves that together are
creating the less desirable, most often human-produced drones. One
plug-in that has a good, real-time spectral display and many bands of
parametric EQ is apulSoft apQualizr.

I wish there were visual aids with abilities closely comparable to
our ears/brains. For these pesky lower register drones, the best
sonogram-like display tools I've used are capable of showing me bands
I can very readily hear or quickly find by sweeping a peaked band of
parametric EQ, but the next level of tones that become audible after
these have been lessened are too subtle to display. :-)

Depending on one's goals for the recording, the final results of
equalization can have more pleasing overall effect, tonal balance
when one tries to lessen the presence of the tones rather than try to
eliminate them.

I'd be happy to make a video demonstration of the phenomenon and
techniques that I use with an original .wav sample. Rob D.

  = = = =

At 2:39 PM +0100 8/4/10, Tim Bartlett wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>Not sure if this has been touched on before (I'm a new member to this group)
>but you may wish to consider using Frequency Analysis techniques to reduce
>unwanted noise such as AC noise.
>
>We have done a lot of work on engine noises, and find Adobe Audition
>invaluable for this....frequency domain work.
>
>If you have a recording with the AC noise 'contaminating' something, then I
>would load these sounds into something like Audition, and actually look at
>the Frequency Analysis to try to identify exactly where in the spectrum they
>are occurring, rather than trying to guess with multiple parametric EQ's.
>Mechanical noises such as AC will usually be quite obvious by their constant
>'lines' on the display if they are 'drone' like sounds.
>
>E.g. Loading in your MP3 exhibits these lines - the strongest remaining
>'drone' is roughly at 480.5Hz J but several others are visible. These can be
>removed quite easily...
>
>Audition enables you to actually edit the audio using the frequency analysis
>display itself, so just visually identify the areas you want to reduce in
>volume, draw a selection box around them, and you are able to
>increase/decrease the amplitude of just those selected frequencies. You can
>also draw irregular shapes, rather than simple boxes, so it is feasible to
>alter rising/falling frequencies as well as static drones.
>
>You are still faced with the problem of the AC and your subject material
>sharing the same frequencies in places, and this technique can be time
>consuming if your contamination has lots of harmonics/lines, but this kind
>of 'surgical' removal of noises can often be much more accurate and less
>damaging to the rest of the sound.
>
>Tim.
>
>From:
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: