Wolf pup vs Coyotes...

Subject: Wolf pup vs Coyotes...
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Tue Aug 3, 2010 12:11 pm ((PDT))
Back about a month ago if my memory serves me correctly, someone (Mark?)
had a recording of wolf or coyote pups they were hoping to identify.  As I=

recall, we all agreed they were wolf sounds in his recording.

Monday, August 2nd at 1:30-2:00AM in the wee early hours of the morning, I=

happened to catch our local Coyote pack in full song in the tree farm and
have finally managed to get a decent recording.  I think this recording in=

comparison affirms the wolf conclusion to his recording.

As this recording starts, there is about a 27 second delay of tree frogs
and pond frogs until what I presume is the alpha female coyote of the pack=

puts out a call. this is followed by a 35-40 second delay, and she calls
again and almost immediately a second voice joins hers and for nearly a
minute, all the rest of the pack as well as a few coyotes in the distance
joins in.

The recording is in stereo, you can get a feel of distance and direction to=

some of the further out coyotes combined with the sound of the frogs make
this a very unique recording I think...

This recording was made with a Tascam Dr680 recorder and a pair of
Sennheiser ME66 microphones which were pointed in the general direction of=

the Cape Cod Academy buildings about 1/4 mile beyond my location, the
coyotes were between my location and the Academy with its air conditioners=

roaring...
Therefore I have run this audio through a 450hz highpass filter to get rid=

of most of the air conditioner noise however as the coyote sounds start at=

about 500 hz and go up in frequency, there is still a bit of the air
conditioner droning bleeding through at the bottom end of the frequencies
of this recording.

You can hear this recording here:

Direct play using on-line audio streamer:
http://www.4shared.com/audio/vX2dfvam/CCCoyotes01.html

Download MP3 file to play on your own system:
http://dc229.4shared.com/download/vX2dfvam/CCCoyotes01.mp3

Your comments please, I'm a learner at this field of endeavor and your
feedback and critiques are important to me...
--

Mitch

http://www.4shared.com/dir/UTASxktL/wildlife.html

Shadow's area: http://www.4shared.com/dir/ecfWjyZb/Shadow.html