Re: Wolf pup vs Coyotes...

Subject: Re: Wolf pup vs Coyotes...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Aug 3, 2010 5:16 pm ((PDT))
At 5:58 PM -0400 8/3/10, Mitch Hill wrote:
>  Can you describe how you have the mics positioned?
>  > >Have you tried placing a baffle or other separator between them? Rob
>>  >D..
>>
>>Best explained with pictures. And, no, no baffle or separator:
>  ><http://www.4shared.com/dir/F1FPcina/Microphone_tests.html>http://www.4=
shared.com/dir/F1FPcina/Microphone_tests.html

>>I had spent the afternoon prior to making the Yote recording experimentin=
>>with the angle between the microphones. I found that with the ME66 pair,
>>(super cardioid), I needed to reduce the included angle between
>>microphones to 60 degrees. The shorter pencil type ME64 and the R0DE
>>NT5's (cardioid with a broad pattern) seem to work well at 90 degrees
>>included angle.
>>
>>I'm not sure of the definition "super cardioid" being meaningful, its how
>>Sennheiser categorizes the ME66 amongst the ME64 (cardioid) and the ME67
>>(hyper cardioid), fundamentally the ME66 is a narrower pattern and looks
>>from the Sennheiser polar plots to be down about 3dB from about 35 degree=
>>either side of center. After initial tests, I closed up the angle slightl=
>>of the ME66 pair but did not measure it, its an 'eyeball' guestimate of 6=
0
>>degrees and seems to work quite well, actually better than I had expected=

Hi Mitch--

I guess we can regard them as cardioid mics; the pick-up to the rear
may be greater than a standard cardioid, but its a starting place.
I'd guess that what you used is closest to an ORTF stereo array. As
you suggest, you'll probably want to retain the ability to adjust the
angle former by the mics for different subjects/settings.

To reduce cross-talk, you might want to experiment with a 12" X 12"
piece (or larger) of 2" thick high density foam in between the length
of the mics or plywood covered with a couple of layers of carpet on
both sides. The later will provide more bass separation. If that does
something you like, try small sizes. A separation of 6-13" is
typical, maybe start off at 9" and solve the baffle aspect first and
then go back and test the separation distance between the mics.

You can do easy comparison wearing goo enclosed headphones.  Just
slip the baffle in and out as you monitor.  Play with several type of
baffle materials, sizes, distances between the mics, mic angles, etc.

Its a pain, but the next step is deadening sound entry from the back
of the mics, That usually helps shotgun performance. Something large,
like 4' X 4' sound barrier heavily padded and no closer than 18"
behind the mics.  Don't use anything hard that reflects sound.

>  >
>>Interesting to note, at dusk, I had covered the microphones with a black
>>plastic garbage bag held with painter's masking tape to protect them from
>>the Cape Cod night time humidity and moisture and the Coyote recording is
>>made through the plastic bag...

That might explain some of the resonance I thought I was hearing. Any
enclosure or semi-enclosure around mics will affect frequency
response and add resonance.  A nylon umbrella will help reduce
condensation, dew formation and is sound transparent-- but if its
just high humidity, I'd forgo using anything unless the mics are out
all night. Rob D.