Re: mbho MBP 648 PZ

Subject: Re: mbho MBP 648 PZ
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:33 pm ((PDT))
At 7:19 PM -0700 7/16/10, umashankar wrote:

>we can rule out the human ear as good design.

Compared to the ears of many other mammals'?

>i remember reading in studio sound=A0(about 25
>years ago) a review article of all
>the boundary mics. one point that stuck to my mind was that the mic on
>cantilever and the mic mounted flush would be theoretically identical to s=
ome
>measurable high frequency and the flush mounted mic would be superior abov=
>this.

Would that be, Stanley P. Lipshitz and John
Vanderkooy's 1976 AES article, "THE ACOUSTICAL
BEHAVIOR OF PRESSURE-RESPONDING MICROPHONES
POSITIONED ON RIGID BOUNDARIES?"

>i have always mounted my capsules flush, but when i have to use a cardioid=
, i
>cut slot in the acrylic so i could bury the
>capsule, just enough so the holes in
>front or not covered. (with the 10 mm panasonic capsules that was almost
>halfway.
>
>umashankar

For omnis, are there particular boundary sizes,
positioning of capsules on the planes and
orientations between the boundaries you prefer
for outdoor recording?

Any pictures of the slot configuration you use with small cardioids?

I appreciate recordists reaching other
conclusions. There are critical application
factors that affect the impact of the weaknesses
and strengths of an array. One important
application factor is whether the sound subject
is primarily front-staged or not.  The Schoeps
KFM 6 appears to be designed for front staging in
concert halls, but, outdoors, the confusion and
symmetry from the rear is quite distracting.
Parallel boundary arrays with perpendicularly
mounted omni capsules also exhibit much of this
weakness-- but some recordists prefer capturing
"sound in the round" at the expense of front-rear
localization accuracy.

In the blind test I shared with several people a
little over a year ago, everyone preferred
perpendicular to boundary orientation
(forward-facing) over flush-mounted near/in a
sphere and earlier in simple, small flat
boundaries.  The sense was perpendicular mounting
tends to create more left-right contrast which
people found more useful for localization over
the more diffuse imaging of the flush-mounted
capsules. I suspect the advantage is greater with
distant subjects as one encounters outdoors. Rob D