Re: Roland R-05

Subject: Re: Roland R-05
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:03 am ((PDT))
Trelawboy,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new recorder and I looked at the Roland
web site for the R-05 specifications. I ruled this recorder out of my
choices as 1, it would seem to have low sensitivity compared to the other
recorders I'm considering.  2, It has only a 3.5mm TRS stereo jack for
external mic plugin and I need a recorder with XLR and Phantom power for
mic inputs.

At present I'm using an LS-11 and love it excluding its limitation of using
a 3.5mm TRS mic jack.  I find the LS-11 has excellent sensitivity although
not being one of the highest available and it has reasonably low noise
preamps (-121dBu noise figure) as well as excellent quality of construction
being in an aluminum body & frame.  I also find the ergonomics of operating
the LS-11 to be excellent, it is very easy to use with one hand while
operating a camera or binoculars with the other hand. And you can easily
slip it in a shirt pocket even with cables connected when you need a quick
holster. As I mentioned before, its only drawback is it lacks XLR mic
inputs and phantom power however this can be easily solved with an external
phantom power box if needed.

At present it looks like my next recorder will be the Marantz PMD661
(-125dBu noise figure) with XLR inputs and Phantom power but I'm keeping
the LS-11 with a ME66/K6 microphone for a quick to grab and run when the
opportunity arises... ...

Please keep us informed about your efforts, bats interest me...

--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...

http://www.4shared.com/dir/UTASxktL/wildlife.html