Re: Post processing noise reduction...

Subject: Re: Post processing noise reduction...
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Fri Jul 9, 2010 12:41 pm ((PDT))
One can automate the parameters of an EQ - I do it day in and day out in Pr=
Tools.  For instance, a notch filter tracking the frequency of an airplane
fly-over.

In many ways, typical single-ended noise reduction systems (i.e. Dolby Cat
43, cat 430, Waves C4, other multiband downward expanders) act as a
threshold based automatic EQ, supressing frequency bands when they drop
below a threshold.

If you're looking to remove offending noises, look at Izotope RX - the
stand-alone app not the plug-in.

in the paraphrased words of purist-engineer mickey hoolihan, "any audio
processing is objectively a degradation"

-jeremiah

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Mike Rooke <> wrote:

> General problem with them all is they are fixed, meaning the offending
> sample is presented, its filtered out and that small section is applied f=
or
> the rest of the recording. Whats really needed is a temporal EQ where EQ =
is
> present at a specific granularity, every second, minute, or right down to
> milliseconds and blended between 'temporal EQ frames'. Tracking / learnin=
> EQ with noise reduction - except Ive not found one yet :( Even EQ plug'in=
> applied on a track affect that track while its active, imagine if you cou=
ld
> blend frames of EQ over the whole track adjusting for situations where e.=
> traffic volume increases or decreases. Or maybe such a thing exists?
>
> -M
>

> --- In <naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.co=
m>,
> Dan Dugan <> wrote:
> >
> > My advice is to concentrate on making good recordings and forget about
> noise reduction software. I have some of the most expensive packages and
> it's still a PITA and the recordings suffer. That kind of software is use=
ful
> for production where you're going to mix an ambience back in to cover the
> unnatural sound.
> >
> > -Dan

jeremiah moore | SOUND |
http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/