Crows, after romance, the next phase...

Subject: Crows, after romance, the next phase...
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Mon Jul 5, 2010 2:06 pm ((PDT))
Howdy all,

Following along the line of the thread Kevin started about Romantic Ravens,=

this afternoon I recorded another interesting session with what appear to
be the same crows that I recorded on 3 July...  This recording was made
about 100 yards further north in the same strip of old growth trees. Being=

Cape Cod, there is a few moments of road traffic and towards the end, an
airplane in the distance however being a Holiday, it is surprisingly quiet=

here today...

On-line Audiostreamer:
http://www.4shared.com/audio/uZ30nLUo/Crowjuve01.html

Direct download of MP3 file:
http://dc160.4shared.com/download/uZ30nLUo/Crowjuve01.mp3

This is a long file, about 9.5 Mb in MP3 format, and 10 minutes time wise.

What is interesting is that about 7 minutes into this recording, the adult=

crow returns and it sounds like a feeding session takes place.  I think
there is a minor feeding session earlier in the recording but am not
sure.  Due to the dense foliage, the nest is well hidden and I can not see=

what goes on, I have to trust my ears.

Following making this recording, I went out to the primitive feeding
station in my back yard and put out about 2 pounds of wild bird feed loaded=

with peanuts, cashews, walnut meats, as well as sunflower and all the
normal bird feed seeds, and by the time I was back in the house, put the
feeding utensils away, looked out the window and one of the adult crows was=

selectively picking through the feed and as I watched, flew off with a beak=

full of nuts.  A bit later and I noticed the larger crow of two I see
regularly here was repeating the picking over of the feed.

Crows and their social activities interest me, and if they interest you as=

well, I've been putting a collection of my crow photographs and sound
recordings at:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/qkNXaqK_/Crows.html

This area is a work in progress, please feel free to browse...
--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...

http://www.4shared.com/dir/UTASxktL/wildlife.html