Re: Sony PCM-M10 $199 at B&H

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 $199 at B&H
From: "clay" dan.cesonrocks
Date: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 pm ((PDT))
thanks guys!

Looks like B&H's model is a good compromise, since it's NOT an online deale=
per se, but a high volume local dealer who happens to sell on line as well.

They can provide a good bit of what you're describing and still offer the
best price around, but of course, they cannot provide all of the high-touch
interactions that you describe.

I've personally found their pro audio guys to be pretty knowledgeable,
although I'd still rather look to folks on this list for 'nature recording'
specific issues.  I was able to listen to several mics in their sound room
before purchase.  They provide great service for what they sell, offer
trade-ins, offer used gear, keep me posted on the latest gear (of a variety
of electronics), have the best 'inventory' of products in the world.

They don't do loaners, unless you count the 14-30 (depending on type of
product) day "no questions asked" return policy (for most items), if you
return the gear in 'as new' condition.

I've also used Sweetwater and Full Compass on occasion, and am happy with
their service as well.

anyway I've ramble off topic here.

thanks for your replies
clay

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Well thought through, Jeremiah, and all valuable
> services that are easily worth 10-15% addition to
> the cost of your purchases over time. One might
> add rent to purchase options, loaners for
> testing, prodding manufacturers about repairs,
> offering trade-ins and good deals on used gear.
>
> There is a middle-ground for some of us who don't
> live near a suitable dealer and that is to pick a
> professional dealer at a distance who has smart
> sales and tech people and give them most of your
> business. Most of the mutual rewards are still
> applicable. Even if you don't buy a ton of gear,
> if they know that you are loyal customer, you'll
> get a break at some point when you need it. Rob
> D.
>
> =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D
>

> At 5:06 PM -0700 6/28/10, Jeremiah Moore wrote:
> >Mainly it's about service. You local pro dealer can - For instance:
> >
> > - help you navigate product choices in a knowledgeable manner
> > - arrange for you to evaluate equipment in your own studio, or on
> location
> > - Provide a quick answer via a single phone call when time is of the
> >essence (ex: what current video card works best with pro tools?)
> > - Keep you in touch with what's going on in the community. (ex: a frien=
> >found his new studio by letting the local gear dealer know he was lookin=
> >for one.)
> > - Put together packages including all appropriate cabling etc
> > - Offer support for what they sell
> > - Arrange demo licenses for software etc, sometimes more easily than yo=
> >can do it yourself.
> > - Operate a showroom where you can go listen to monitor speakers, etc
> etc.
> > - Provide a local place to pick up last-minute necessities like an
> adapter,
> >special cable or battery, tape stock (remember that?) etc.
> >
> >The internet has taken over many of these roles - much of which is a gre=
at
> >thing. But there's still a place for high-touch service, particularly in
> >the professional world where your reputation rests on coming through for
> the
> >job every time.
> >
> >-jeremiah
> >

> >On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:37 PM, clay <<dan.ceso=
nrocks%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> >

> >> B&H IS my local dealer, but I am curious how you think a local pro aud=
io
> >> dealer can help me in ways B&H "never could".
> >>
> >> thanks for the heads-up Oryoki.
> >>
> >> clay
> >>
> >> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Jeremiah
> >>Moore
> >>< <jmoore%40northstation.net><jmoore%
> 40northstation.net>

> >> local

> >>< <cro%40trackseventeen.com><cro%
> 40trackseventeen.com>

> PCM-M10
> >> > > >

> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638090-REG/Sony_PCM_M10_BLACK_PCM_M=
Message: 10_Portable_Audio_Recorder.
Subject: html

> >> <jmoore%40northstation.net><jmoore%
> 40northstation.net>

> >--
> >jeremiah moore | SOUND | <jmoore%40northstation.n=
et>