Feedback to advice on avoiding humidity related problems with conden

Subject: Feedback to advice on avoiding humidity related problems with conden
From: "Richard Folwell" richardfolwell
Date: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:40 pm ((PDT))
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 7:42 AM, David Michael wrote:
> > The causes of (and solutions to) humidity related noise in
> condenser
> > mics, as Rob has noted here in the past, are not completely
> > understood - so I would be interested to hear your techniques and
> > results in the field.

Unfortunately I'm unable to provide much in the way of useful
information on this subject yet.  Although I did take airtight plastic
boxes and dessicant with me, due mostly to heat and humidity induced
brain-fade I failed to use these as advised.  However neither of the
mics I used failed in practice, in conditions that I can only estimate
as being regularly > 80% humidity and > 36 C.  I thought I would be able
to easily buy a small weather monitor when I got there, but could not
find one, and even a visited rainforest centre which regularly caters
for educational and scientific groups rather than tourists only had a
dodgy thermometer and no hygrometer.

The mics I used were an Audio Technica 8022 and a Rode Videomic.  I did
where possible power them up some time before use, but not the several
hours advised by the group.

I have subsequently bought from a garden centre a small (about 100g with
batteries) thermo-hygrometer which will go with me next time, so I
should in future be able to report better the actual environmental
conditions the mics were being used in.

And next time I will be taking better mics with me.  As Rob D pointed
out before I went, but I did not have time to organize, an array
microphone setup would be much better for ambient recordings, as it
would include both volume and time of arrival stereo differences.  Also
having a more sensitive setup would have been _really_ helpful for the
majority of the recordings I made.

Richard

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: