Re: 3032vs4022 self-noise, HDP2vsDR680 input noise

Subject: Re: 3032vs4022 self-noise, HDP2vsDR680 input noise
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sat May 29, 2010 12:25 am ((PDT))
On 29/05/2010, at 2:49 PM, Rob Danielson wrote:

> Hi Paul--
>> 11K and 20 beats/second seems distinct enough for audio engineers to
>> recognize. I found one other file combining the DR680 and a 3032
>> that appears to be recorded at another time. Its the one labeled
>> "Boundary Array." The other file in the folder is the same
>> 3203->DR680 clip that you found the noise in.
>> http://tinyurl.com/2w4dqoj [2mb download] Rob D.

The Boundary array recording doesn't have the ticking but the clip you used in
the comparison does, so obviously it was an environmental sound.

I've put together  a file comparing indoor and outdoor recordings with the
3032's which is perhaps a little unfair.  I taken a chunk of a recording I'd
made at Gundabooka National Park in predawn. From memory the gain was set at
about "9" on the super mod hdp2, which with the +6dB gain mod roughly equates
to 10 on a standard version.  The hiss above 1khz seems to be fairly closely
matched.

The first 8 seconds is DR680/3032, followed by 12 seconds of SuperMod HDP2/3032
recording predawn still, then a short segment of a 4wd starting up back at
camp. I've checked on google maps and this was 1.6km/1mile away as the crow
flies.

http://demo.mactrix.com.au/dr680/Indoor_Outdoor_3032.wav  [5.5mb]

Some of the quieter portions of the Gundabooka recording are -70dBFS
(a-weighted) and as gain at "9" is in the region of 44-46dB this would
translate to a mic output of -114 to -116dBU(a-weighted). Given that the output
for a mic with the sensitivity of 19.9mV/Pa (AT3032) in a sound field of
10dBSPL  would be  -116dBu(a-weighted) this should be pretty revealing of mic
performance.

cheers
Paul