Alternatives to SoundCloud?

Subject: Alternatives to SoundCloud?
From: "Richard Folwell" richardfolwell
Date: Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 am ((PDT))
I'm currently using SoundCloud to share my attempts at nature sound
recording.  I think it is an excellent system, very neat.  However it
does have a couple of quirks that make me want to look for alternatives:

 - the pricing structure is, understandably, aimed at at people who are
producing relatively short music tracks.  Where, like me, you want to
share long ambient material the pricing does not make so much sense

 - I have had a few issues with UI stability recently. I suspect that
they are pushing out changes without testing them properly (hopefully
this will stop in due course)

So the question is, what alternatives do group members know about?

I see that many people run excellent blogs which provide sound playing
embedded apps. I will be delving into both HTML source and credits for
tips, but would appreciate any general tips for someone considering this
route.

I have the skills and resources to do my own hosting, but would prefer
to have someone else doing the hard work (as SoundCloud does).

Richard