Re: Zoom H4n as a 4-track recorder

Subject: Re: Zoom H4n as a 4-track recorder
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 am ((PDT))
At 10:44 AM +0000 5/13/10, maxfrick78 wrote:

>Hello group,
>
>there a more and more multichannel SD-card-recorders coming and I
>guess in about 2 years we'll have a lot to choose from and good
>prices. But until then I thought about using the Zoom H4n for basic
>4-track recording, since you can use it with 4 external mics.
>
>I've searched the forum and people say that the XLR-preamps are 'too
>noisy'. Did anyone do the real-life test, like Rob often does (NT1-A
>with ART phantom into H4n, compared to the setup with a Sony HiMD
>recorder or something like that)?
>
>I looked for it but couldn't find it, forgive me if I missed
>something. If it really doesn't exist yet I'll create the example if
>I by the H4n.
>
>greets,
>Max

Hi Max--
Some dealers will allow you to carefully try-out the recorder and
return it if it doesn't work out as along as you  agree to make a
comparable purchase.

I not aware of such a test though I am aware of a recordist who tried
what you suggest and recently bought a DR 680 to use with 4022's.
Contact me off list if you want to contact him.

People's expectations and recordings conditions differ, so making a
high gain test yourself with new and old gear is always a good idea.
Done right, the test usually makes one more confident and we've seen
quite a few quirks revealed that would have taken a longer time to
uncover.

Below are some H4n test variables that occur to me. Each letter would
require test recording.  You'd need at least one, low-self-noise mic
and a portable phantom power supply. A good mic pre would also be
useful.

A. NT1-A(s) (or <17dB[A] self-noise mic[s]*) -> Phantom Input/ H4n
Recorder at Full Pre gain (Phantom Power ON)

B. NT1-A(s) or * -> Phantom Power Supply -> 1/8" mic input H4n
Recorder at Full Pre gain

You can record A & B at the same time if you have two, same model mics.

Optionally:
C.  NT1-A(s) or * -> Phantom Power Supply -> Phantom Input/ H4n
Recorder at Full Pre gain (Phantom Power OFF)

D. NT1-A(s) or * -> Very Low Noise External Mic Pre at Max Gain ->
Line Input/ H4n Recorder at Unity gain. This one would provide a very
useful reference as to how much noise the pre's are adding, if any.

You can record a very soft, repeating sound source in a quiet
setting-- a distant clock in a room in the middle of the night with
everything turned off or unplugged. I unplug our refrigerator. Run
everything on battery powering and make each test recording at least
10 minutes long if there are changing background sounds like distant
traffic. I can help you make a comparison movie if you like. Rob D.