Re: Greater Sage Grouse

Subject: Re: Greater Sage Grouse
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm ((PDT))
Very nice, Kevin! I recorded this bird a few years ago in a Lek in Washingt=
on and Idaho with the same idea, wind was always a problem but after half a=
 dozen attempts i finally nailed it! I sat all night and morning monitoring=
 the recording and got some equally good stuff. I totally agree that birds =
like this should be handled with care regarding conservation. We have a fra=
gile management system in place in this country and I fear it is not being =
 implemented correctly.

Martyn

Martyn Stewart
www.naturesound.org
www.soundofcritters.com
425-898-0462

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 26, 2010, at 10:07 AM, "kjcolver" <> wrote:

> By planting my microphones (Sennheiser MKH 30/40) within a sagebrush the =
night before, I was able to record the Greater Sage Grouse during lek displ=
ay at dawn. I've published a sample on my podcast "Soundscapes for Birders"=
 at the iTunes Store or at www.7loons.com. I must admit that after trying f=
or this species for years without success I am pleased with this recording.=
 One male bird displayed all morning within inches of my microphone.