Re: [Nature Recordists] Red-winged dawn

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Red-winged dawn
From: Bernie Krause <>
Good question, Aaron. By its very name, biophony means sound from any
biological source. While it has been framed primarily for critters
from micro-organisms to large whales, it also includes certain
categories of plant life. Mycophony, a fine term BTW, would then be a
sub-category.

On the plant side, I have recordings from the early 1970 of corn
growing and later (early 80s) of cells popping within the xylem and
phloem of certain species of trees as they apparently suck in air to
maintain osmotic pressure and pop when they dry out, dying and thus
forming the rings. On the micro side, about 10 years ago there was a
study at Cambridge citing sound signatures from viruses titled "Direct
& Sensitive Detection of a Human Virus by Rupture Event Scanning," by
Matthew A. Cooper, et al. And we've been doing some work on T-cells
(related to HIV) trying to isolate the signatures.

Bernie