new "-phony" classes >> was::Re: [Nature Recordists] Red-winged dawn

Subject: new "-phony" classes >> was::Re: [Nature Recordists] Red-winged dawn
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes2
Date: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:33 pm ((PDT))
Hi!

I do believe that mycology is the study of fungi, so one would assume that =
"mycophony" would be the sound generated by mushrooms or something similar.=
 So I don't think that Aaron's term is a good fit for plant sounds in gener=
al; people might get confused as to what you really mean.

Perhaps you could use the term "botaphony" or maybe "botanophony". In eithe=
r case, you'd have to clue many folks into the meaning and intent of the te=
rm in order to have it assimilated in any general manner.

I would definitely like to hear more sounds made by plants. The subject of =
sounds from corn growing has been mentioned by several of my friends and my=
 brother-in-law has heard sounds from watermelons growing on his grandfathe=
r's farm, but I have never heard either of these sounds. The good news is t=
hat I have some new mics & the growing season is yet to come, so I have som=
e time to get prepared for it!

Bernie, do you have any virus or T-cell sound files that you can share?

Take care,

Greg