Re: from metadata to archiving (was Some prescient words from Murray

Subject: Re: from metadata to archiving (was Some prescient words from Murray
From: "Marc Myers" primatemarc
Date: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm ((PDT))
Would be a wonderful application for many on this list.
My experience is most tools I've used were poor at helping me put the data into
the application. Ease of use is very important. We can all put everything in an
Excel spread sheet. We don't because it's a huge bore.
Utilities might include:
  a.. A method to import from the metadata from the files
  b.. A number of pick lists the user could populate themselves to pass values
to the main table for a specific field
  c.. Some way to establish a hierarchical taxonomy so users could sort
multiple fields to find results. (i.e. just the bird calls from around Lake
Walenpaupack on the Northeastern PA trip).
  d.. Also a method so that, once a set of items from the pick lists are
chosen, one could add batch tags to a group of files. (i.e. I get back from
Lake Walenpaupack and sort just my bird calls. I should then be able to batch
import the metadata to new records in the application with those attributes).
  e.. I'd also like to be able to turn on and off a prefill. If I have a pick
list of values, I'd like to be able to choose if the application uses that same
value in the next record. If I have a list of birds, for example, and I know
the next thirty files are going to be jays, then I'd like to not have to choose
jay every time. If I then start working on a group of files where the bird in
each recording will be different, then I'd like to turn that off so I won't
make mistakes
Love to see something like this.