Re: High end sound

Subject: Re: High end sound
From: "Jos=C3=A9" =
ail.com
Date: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:02 am ((PDT))

Hi Paul,
Your information was very useful, I am now downloading the converters test =
from gearslutz and after I ear it I will post here.
The Mini mp, it is not the me,the mp is only phantom power for the mics and=
 MS matrix, is my main setup with two sennheizer mkh 30/40. The apogee mini=
 mp output is a stereo balanced xlr analog signal, no digital signal.
     I am very pleased with the sound from this front end setup Sennheizer =
mics and Apogee preamp. The faible link is  the  Edirol r09 AD convertion.
     If it was now I will buy the Sonic Devices or (best, but the price...)=
 the Sonasax you amably have shown me, they have it all in one box: high qu=
ality and the portability...
     As you have said there is a huge gap in the market for spdif input por=
table recorders, The sony is toslink optic, I think not electrical spdif.
    I have some samplers in the freesoundproject with the edirol r09 and th=
e jensen, and I will post there new samplers soon. (search username: FREITO=
JOS).
     I probably will buy the M audio microtrack II (160=80) and I will use =
24 bit 96khz (not 48khz as in the Edirol)and the Mytek convertion.
    I have used one time the Mytek stereo 192 AD converter in one Echo audi=
ofire 2 with a portable pc via one pcmcia firewire card but the setup was t=
o much encombrant.
    I would like to make  the comparision with tre convertions at my dispos=
al: Mytek, Echo audiofire 2 and Edirol r09 but I don't know how to make it,=
 the same sound source: One voice reading the same text in the same ambianc=
e,...? How do they make it at home not in the field?
gratings,
Jose

--- In  Paul Jacobson <> wrote:

> Hi Jose,
>
> Doesn't the MiniMe have both AES/EBU and coax spdif outputs? If that is t=
he case you could try picking up a microtrack II and use the spdif in with =
the MiniMe.  This should give you an improvement over using unbalancing tra=
nsformers into the R-09.

> If you want to have a listen to the effect of DA converter and clocking I=
 suggest you take a listen to this thread on gearslutz:
> http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-aud=
io-tests/424688-big-d-converter-test-session.html

> This is includes testing of a couple of mixers I came very close to buyin=
g, the Sonosax SX-M32 and the Aeta Mixy. As can be heard from the tests bot=
h these boxes have very good A/D and have digital out although they require=
 an adapter cable to run into coax SPDIF.  The preamps on both these units =
are meant to be outstanding.  On various french forums a common setup is co=
nnecting the Mixy via toslink to a Sony D-50.

> http://www.aeta-audio.com/english/produits_detail.php?id=3D9
> http://www.sonosax.ch/mixers/sxm32/sxm32_index.html
>
> I went as far as purchasing a Microtrack II a couple of weeks ago as part=
 of the exercise of putting together a setup with one of the above mixers b=
ut once I had the Microtrack in hand I had serious concerns about it's usab=
ility in the field. I've been using a Tascam HDP2 for the past few years an=
d it's very hard to go back to a awkward little buttons after getting used =
to full sized transport controls. I didn't really feel that confident about=
 using the Microtrack in situations where I would be setting up in the dark=
 and or cold, but you'd need to make that assessment based on your own need=
s.

> There is a real gap in the market when you start looking for small solid =
recorders with digital inputs. You are basically looking at the Microtrack,=
 Sony D-50, and the Marantz PMD-661 before you get in to larger more expens=
ive recorders.

> In the end I picked up a Sound Devices 722 on eBay as this seemed to give=
 the best combination of field usability and high quality a/d and preamps. =
I think this will keep me happy until I win the lotto and can afford to pic=
k up one of these:

> http://www.sonosax.ch/recorders/sxr4/sxr4_index.html
>
> cheers
> Paul
>

> On 16/04/2010, at 3:43 AM, Jos=C3=A9 wrote:
>
> > Hello Rob,
> >   I am now asking myself the next: if I inprove the convertion using th=
e Mytek 196 ADC (instead of the Edirol R09 internal convertion from the lin=
e input)(the Mytek can be 12v powered), and the spdif input in one M audio =
micro track II the convertion will inprove the sound?
> >   I am happy with the MS stereo  sound,even when I put the two micros i=
n my home made parabola (60cmm) the sound is good to me.
> >    Another question is: if in the audiophile music reproduction the con=
vertion in the Dac's the Jitter, the dither the bit rate ( 16 or 24) the sa=
mple rate ( ..48,96 khz...) makes difference in the sound I think the AD co=
nvertion in the recording moment is also important?
> >   Now I am using the Mytek 196 stereo AD converter to digitalize vinil =
and K7's and I am happy with the result so far, the sound is to my ears muc=
h better with the convertion 24bit 88.2 Khz that the cd sound 16bit 44.1khz=
.
> >   In The field now I am using the Edirol r09 but I am thinking to buy o=
ne M audio micro track II (with spdif input 24 bit 96Khz) to inprove the co=
nvertion and the sound,but I don't know exactily if I am right?
> > Best regards,
> > Jose

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: