Re: Mic output noise chart

Subject: Re: Mic output noise chart
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Apr 8, 2010 2:33 pm ((PDT))
Hi Paul--
Here are some test materials in a folder to download. I recorded both
mics with 58.6  dB of Gain with a SD 744T recorder.

http://tinyurl.com/y8haout

The Hz response on the two mics is very different. Mic self-noise,
high in register with both mics, is not significantly different in
color.

Using RMS matching of pink noise is the only way I know of to match
playback levels when the tonality of the two mics differs as
significantly as these do. With the additional LF response it has,
the less sensitive NT2-A needed only .5dB of additional gain to match
the NT1-A (pink noise RMS). You can easily hear the additional LF
response in the room tone/tick section as well and there's not much
LF there to work with!

I we assume as Rane Table 3 suggests that the mic pre in the 744T
[measured at -130dBu (A weighted)] is quiet enough for an NT1-A mic
(which we also know from other tests), then I don't understand why
Rane Table suggests a quieter pre is needed to become transparent
behind the NT2-A.  When the signal output of the two mics is matched,
the sonograms I've made indicate that the NT2-A has slightly more
effective self-noise noise, not less. In my experience, this usually
means the pre can be slightly noisier, not less. If I've missed
something glaring, I'm ready fer educatin' Rob D.