Re: Mic output noise chart

Subject: Re: Mic output noise chart
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Apr 9, 2010 9:35 am ((PDT))
Hi Paul--
Its assuring to see we can make some sense of the results, even if
not practical to apply. :-)

For me, it makes the significances of mic sensitivity simpler to
understand when I break it into three categories.

(1) High mic sensitivity cannot improve noise performance if one is
using a very quiet pre. Once we get into pres with measured input
noise of around -127 dBu (A weighted) and quieter, the pre is
effectively "transparent" and the higher sensitivity provides no or
little advantage.  I had a MKH80 with 40 mV/Pa in the same test.  The
amplitude/file saturation is higher but it's self-noise reigns.

(2) High mic sensitivity can improve noise performance by creating
more separation from the noise floor when the mics are used with a
"somewhat quiet" pre. I suggest for this group pres measured to be
-124 dBu and noisier (A weighted). The audible advantage is highly
impacted by the tonal balance, or "color" of the self-noise from the
mics and the input noise contributed by the mic pre and subject
matter. The separation and reduced noise will be considerably greater
for "foreground" sounds like robust animal vocalizations and louder
effects where low dynamic backgrounds are less a concern. For a
reliable sense of the noise performance with a "somewhat quiet"
recorder/pre, its best to try out specific mic/recorder combinations
than rely too heavily on self-noise and sensitivity ratings.

(3) Low mic sensitivity mics (>10 mV/Pa) can become a significant
liability especially if used with a "somewhat quiet" pre to record
lower sound-level sources/spaces. However, if used with a very quiet
pre for fairly robust sound sources, the noise impacts can be greatly
reduced if not eliminated.

I agree with you about the NT1-A's tonal balance. Several people
suspect its rating of 25mV/Pa is highly influenced by a "bump" at
<40Hz. It seems to have weak response to the lower mid-range and
useable bass registers than many mics, but this might be more common
than I was aware of. The bump/noise color of the NT1-A tends to
translate into considerable high Hz noise saturations when used for
full spectrum renditions of quieter locations where lower mids
(125-700 Hz) are important. That said, if we consider the rich
acoustic spaces that John Hartog and others have been able to portray
with NT1-A's, we know there's more to the story. As recordists we
tend to generate more evidence than explanation, but if we try to
make sense of both sides, our field work stands to improve
explanations. Rob D.