Re: Sony PCM-D50 vs SD 702

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-D50 vs SD 702
From: "ssislander" ssislander
Date: Thu Apr 1, 2010 8:07 am ((PDT))
Tom,

I really like your new setup.  Very clean, simple, light, and compact!  I'v=
e looked around for a windshield specific to the NT1A but haven't found any=
thing.  These new Rycote's 45/100 LDM foams look great.  I'll look for them=
.  Thanks very much for the new setup photo and the detailed info.  Much ap=
preciated!

Bob

--- In  Tom Williams <> wro=
te:

> [...]
> of aluminium gives the correct ORTF spacing of 17cm between the centres o=
> the capsules. The aluminium can then be fitted to the quick release plate=
 of
> almost any tripod (in this case a Velbon CX660) using a machine screw and
> butterfly nut through the plate's 3/8" camera screw hole.
>
> The windshields are Rycote's 45/100 LDM foams (part # 104422). These are =
> relatively new product from Rycote and quite hard to track down, I ended =
up
> ordering them direct from Rycote themselves at a cost of around =A340 ($6=
0).
> They seem to offer similar wind protection to my home build wind shields =
and
> are much easier to use.
>
> If you do decide to go with a basket and fur arrangement, the general rul=
> seems to be that a fabric with a relatively open weave will cause the lea=
st
> attenuation of sound. For example if I hold the fur fabric I used up to a
> light source you can see light passing through the fabric backing to whic=
> the fur is attached. I did see a thread on here recently which suggested
> that you can actually purchase fur in sheets directly from Rycote, so tha=
> might be worth checking out. The air gap is an essential part of how a fu=
> windshield works, so just using the fur as a sock directly over the
> microphone probably wouldn't be ideal. At some point I'm going to try mak=
ing
> up some wider fur socks and putting them on top of the Rycote foams to se=
> what effect that has - I'll let you know what the results are like!
>
> Hope this slightly rushed collection of thoughts helps...
>
> Tom
>

> On 1 April 2010 14:52, ssislander <> wrote:
>

> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I did get the shock mounts with the NT1As, but I have been looking at y=
our
> > NT1A setup here....
> >
> > http://www.pterodaktyl.co.uk/tag/rode-nt1-a/
> >
> > Looks good! I'm not up to speed on some of the basics of wind protectio=
n.
> > Like how much is too much, i.e., doesn't a cover of fur or fleece etc m=
uffle
> > the sound? And, does there need to be an air space around the mic? What
> > would happen if I just put a fur "sock" snugly over the mic?
> >
> > I have a Valbon tripod though I might get something smaller and lighter=
 for
> > hikes. I have thin bungie cord (3 mm) I buy by the foot that might work=
 for
> > shock lines.
> >
> > I'm trying to keep it simple and portable and easy to set up. Any more =
info
> > on your setup ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob
> >

> > --- In <naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.=
com>,
> > "Tom Williams" <pterodaktyl@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Bob,
> > >
> > > Did you get the Rode shockmounts with the NT1As? When I bought a matc=
hed
> > pair last year they came with the mounts, but I'm not sure if they're
> > included if you buy single mics.
> > >
> > > If you do have the shockmounts I can send you some details on how I p=
ut
> > together an ORTF stereo rig which can be mounted on top of a lightweigh=
> > camera tripod and stripped down for carrying in a backpack.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >

> > > --- In <naturerecordists%40yahoogroup=
s.com>,

> > so can definitely see the advantage of more mobile equipment. I'll need=
> > hike into areas where I want to record, so portability is a factor. At =
least
> > I'll get some use out of that backpack I bought last year.....

ups.com>,

> > results...

M5