Sony PCM-D50 vs SD 702

Subject: Sony PCM-D50 vs SD 702
From: "ssislander" ssislander
Date: Thu Apr 1, 2010 6:56 am ((PDT))
Hi Tom,

I did get the shock mounts with the NT1As, but I have been looking at your =
NT1A setup here....

http://www.pterodaktyl.co.uk/tag/rode-nt1-a/

Looks good!  I'm not up to speed on some of the basics of wind protection. =
 Like how much is too much, i.e., doesn't a cover of fur or fleece etc muff=
le the sound?  And, does there need to be an air space around the mic?  Wha=
t would happen if I just put a fur "sock" snugly over the mic?

I have a Valbon tripod though I might get something smaller and lighter for=
 hikes.  I have thin bungie cord (3 mm) I buy by the foot that might work f=
or shock lines.

I'm trying to keep it simple and portable and easy to set up.  Any more inf=
o on your setup ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

--- In  "Tom Williams" <> w=
rote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Did you get the Rode shockmounts with the NT1As? When I bought a matched =
pair last year they came with the mounts, but I'm not sure if they're inclu=
ded if you buy single mics.

> If you do have the shockmounts I can send you some details on how I put t=
ogether an ORTF stereo rig which can be mounted on top of a lightweight cam=
era tripod and stripped down for carrying in a backpack.

> Tom
>

> --- In  "ssislander" <bc.email@> wrote:
> >
> > Fernando,
> >
> > Thanks for your equipment info.  I'm researching how to set up my NT1As=
 so can definitely see the advantage of more mobile equipment.  I'll need t=
o hike into areas where I want to record, so portability is a factor.  At l=
east I'll get some use out of that backpack I bought last year.....

> > Bob
> >

> > --- In  "fdisynth" <fdi@> wrote:
> > >
> > > you'll notice electronic white noise no matter what you record...
> > >
> > > and water (sea is worst) is not easy to record with pleasant results.=
..

> > > My experience is that the less directional the better (Schoeps CCM5 i=
n omni mode is the best I have)

> > > Anyway, just to tell about a system I use when I need to be ultra lig=
ht or undercover but still get good quality results: I use two DPA 4060 (th=
ey are 20mV/Pa!) with their small power unit that has a 1/8'' stereo jack o=
utput connector (MPS6030) and record in the smallest and lightest recorder =
I have (currently a Zoom H2) and monitor with Ultrasone headphones or small=
 in-ear headphones for undercover.