Re: Hello all

Subject: Re: Hello all
From: "greghpr" greghpr
Date: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:37 am ((PDT))
Hi Paul - my background (PhD) is cognitive neuroscience ! But I'm teaching =
in IT and moved into more general health care research. And sound recording=
 :) B
ut when I was full-time I also taught multimedia and the 'sound and listeni=
ng' sort of courses you are starting. Great fun and incredibly interesting.=
 If you haven't already found them the International Community for Auditory=
 Display have some intersting conferences and resources that may be of valu=
e to you.
I was part of this conference concert
http://www.icad.org/websiteV2.0/Conferences/ICAD2004/concert.htm
(excuse my paper - for complex reasons involving computer crashes the paper=
 is an early draft)
and we had great coverage on radio
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2004/1142882.htm

Anyhow recording the everyday is fascinating and best wishes
Greg

--- In  "ffs" <> wrote:

> Greetings-
>
> First, thank you for the wealth of information that this list has provide=
d me. As way of background, I am a cognitive psychologist who does spoken w=
ord recognition =E2=80" but teaches an array of related courses including S=
ensation and Perception. My research interests have begun to broaden to the=
 perception of everyday sound and with that, I=E2=80=99ve been brushing up =
on my acoustics and psychoacoustics.

> I hope to teach a class on =E2=80=98Sound and Listening=E2=80=99 =E2=80" =
which will broadly encompass Speech, Music and Everyday Sounds =E2=80" focu=
sing on Perception but with forays into production (acoustics), art (sounds=
capes & music concrete) as well as environmental issues (acoustic ecology).=

> So.. I have a number of questions that I will be bugging the group with s=
oon enough! I=E2=80=99ve exhausted my ability to digest the archives and gi=
ven my limited knowledge, I probably skipped over relevant discussion. But =
I wanted to introduce myself before the deluge!