Re: Moving up from a "budget" recorder.

Subject: Re: Moving up from a "budget" recorder.
From: "Benjamin Kreplin" bkreplin
Date: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:01 am ((PDT))
Hi Andrew,

i started 2 years ago with a Zoom H2 - recording soundscapes (yes, i even t=
ried birds, dawn-choruses etc.) and i was quite happy with the builtin micr=
ophones fo a while. Then i noticed that i would be much more flexible with =
external mics - so i tried to connent an external mic to the H2. Well, that=
 wasn=B4t fun any more - too much noise was coming from the preamp of the H=
Message: 2.

Subject:
I needed some device with low noise microphone-preamps and xlr connectors, =
and that was the point where things did get pricy.

Finally i decided to get an Marantz PMD 661 - a Fostex FR2-LE was the secon=
d alternative for me, but i took the Marantz for some other reasons (size, =
handling).

It seems that serious nature recordists consider entry level to be at
least $500? I can't see how that could be ten times better, but then
again you don't know what you don't know.

So, the basic reason for me to grade up was the noise-level of the recorder=
s mic-preamp.

Well, i don=B4t know if that is ten times better now - it=B4s just better! =
But pricy.
And i=B4m happy with my recordings again.

I do most of the recordings with the PMD661, a Rode NT-4 and the Rode Blimp=
.
Works great for me!

You can listen to some of my recordings i did last year at http://www.bonns=
ound.de

Greetings
Benjamin

Do You Yahoo!?
Sie sind Spam leid? Yahoo! Mail verf=FCgt =FCber einen herausragenden Schut=
z gegen Massenmails.
http://mail.yahoo.com