Re: Repairing Clipping

Subject: Re: Repairing Clipping
From: "chrishails50" chrishails50
Date: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:17 pm ((PDT))
Dear John,

Many thanks for this clear explanation - VERY helpful - I am still explorin=
g all the features of Audition and had not found this one. I use a parabola=
 to record birds, so this happens only rarely but when it does it can spoil=
 an otherwise good strong sequence. I will now experiment.  Thanks !

--- In  "John Lundsten" <=
> wrote:
>
> Audition is very good at estimating the probable missing values on a "fla=
> topped" or clipped waveform.
> Select Clip reduction in edit page
>  The method:-
> 1) have the file in 32float format. [almost certainly you will be creatin=
> vol values greater than 100%, this is fine in 32bit float & a disaster in=

> any Integer format]
> 2) a clipped waveform is recognised by there being 2 or more samples at
> max/0dBfs. So if the clipping is not at max level make it so. Eg normalis=
> to +1dB.
> 3) apply "Clip reduction"
> 4)  Normalise to say 0.1dB. If you don't it is highly likely that tho you=

> now have nice looking waveforms with rounded tops the D-A converter will=

> overload due to the way more than 100% sample values.
>
> there are lot's of further subtleties when the clipped top is not flat bu=
> wobbles.
> John L
>
> chrishails50 wrote
>
> In a recent post on the bagpipe recording Dan Dugan said something that
> intrigued me:
>
> "Since it isn't simple clipping, I don't think there's any way to repair =
the
> recording."
>
> Dan could you (or others) tell me more about this repair ? I thought if a=

> recording was clipped then nothing could be done. I use Audition as my
> routine editor and have tried the simple gain adjuster (amplify/fade), bu=
> if something really has gone beyond limits I have not been able to pull i=
> down and make it sound better.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Chris

> 07:33:00

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: