Re: Sandhill Crane Migration

Subject: Re: Sandhill Crane Migration
From: "Shirane Sanzan" shiranesanzan
Date: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:36 pm ((PDT))
I saw and heard these beautiful=A0cranes last weekend in=A0Monte Vista Nati=
onal Wildlife Refuge here in Colorado (see http://www.fws.gov/alamosa/Crane=
s.html).=A0 The town of Monte Vista holds an annual Crane Fest=A0to celebra=
te the arrival of the cranes in March (see=A0http://www.cranefest.com/).=A0=
 The festival is great for the local economy, birdwatchers,=A0and photograp=
hers, but=A0it also poses some challenges=A0for field recordists: almost al=
l of the=A0viewing locations accessible to the public are located along a h=
ighway.=A0

I tried my best to record what I could with=A0my Sony M-S mic (the only ext=
ernal mic I=A0own=A0right now) but=A0got=A0mostly large trucks passing by.=
=A0=A0I even went back later at night when the traffic had died down, but=
=A0there were=A0overhead planes to contend with.=A0 And by that time, the c=
ranes were already starting to settle down for the night.

-Shirane
=A0=A0=A0

--- In  "kjcolver" <> wrote:

> March is the time that Sandhill Cranes assemble in the tens of thousands =
along Nebraska's Platte river preparing to migrate northward.=A0 I've poste=
d a sample recording of that migration this month on my podcast at www.7Loo=
ns.com or at the iTunes Store under Soundscapes for Birders.=A0 Enjoy.