Re: Specific Questions

Subject: Re: Specific Questions
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 pm ((PDT))
Shirane:

Sounds like an interesting project. There's also the possibility that they =
make (ultrasonic?) vocalizations and I suspect if they're high frequency th=
ese wouldn't make it very far from their sources let alone very under groun=
d ground.

My first attempt would be with a microphone at/on the surface with an attem=
pt to place it close to the action and away from or sheltered from other so=
unds (roads, people...).

Some people have had problems with rodents gnawing on cables left out unatt=
ended so that's a consideration too.

Good luck!

--- In  Shirane Sanzan <>=
 wrote:

> In=A0Wild Soundscapes,=A0Krause lists several=A0field recording exercises=
 for beginners like myself.=A0 One of those exercises is recording ants wit=
h a lavaliere mic.=A0 I am interested in trying=A0something similar in term=
s of recording=A0on or below the ground.
> =A0
> In=A0Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve (located in the San Luis V=
alley of Colorado), there live=A0kangaroo rats (specifically, a species cal=
led Ord's Kangaroo Rat)=A0that thrive in=A0this arid environment.=A0 These =
are nocturnal creatures that=A0can be heard hopping about on the sand late =
at night if one camps out on the dunes.=A0=A0As a field recording exercise,=
 I am interested in capturing the hopping sounds of these kangaroo rats.

> My questions are:=A0Would it be better to use a lavaliere mic on the surf=
ace of the sand or a hydrophone buried just under the surface of the sand?=
=A0 Or even both?