Telinga mic's, Olympus and Zoom Recorders.

Subject: Telinga mic's, Olympus and Zoom Recorders.
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue Mar 9, 2010 10:31 am ((PST))
Hi folks, just time for a report.

Picture at http://www.telinga.com/gallery/gallery_private.htm

The picture show the mic's which are going to be used for the
MurieMike, but in a version to be fastened to your cap, glasses or somethin=
g.

A nice surprise is that they work as well with the Zoom H4N as with
the Olympus!
Happy to tell.

They give about 10 db extra, compared to the Zoom built-in mic's and
the recordings I have done around my bird feeder has been done with
the Zoom's mic level at 60. Nearby woodpeckers pecking at 10 meters
or so have then levelled to about top on the scale. I hear no noise
added by the Zoom recorder.
The sound quality is, I would say, in level with the  EM23's.

Price is not set yet, but in the region of 4-500 US for a pair.

Another good news is that the phantom power of Zoom H4N seems to be
clean and fine, even when used with the sometimes tricky Telinga PRO7
handle. (Which has caused some problems with the old Fostex FR2, for
example, and some individual Tascam=B4s).

sound "big" and surprisingly  professional (I DO mean that!) -
without the otherwise so common "scratchy" character of small
electrets. The output is high and the self noise is around 14 dBA
used with the Olympus and the Zoom Plug In Power inputs.

The omnis can be sold to people on the list in a month. Please get in
touch with me off list.

The Muriemike, however, is still under development. The problem is
that the polyurethane plastic,  that seemed ideal for the "cone",
starts to make "squeaking" sounds after a few weeks of use. The
explanation is that there is a thin layer of silicon at the surface
when coming from the manufacturer, but when this dries, over time,
the squeaking starts.

Making microphones for Nature Sound is always an adventure....

Klas

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01