Re: Tascam DR-2d offers 4 channel recording

Subject: Re: Tascam DR-2d offers 4 channel recording
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 pm ((PST))
At 11:16 PM -0500 2/21/10, Richard L. Hess wrote:

>At 05:44 PM 2010-02-19, Rob Danielson wrote:
>>At 6:53 AM +0000 2/18/10, oryoki2000 wrote:
>>
>>  > ... Dual record also can be set to capture stereo mic inputs and
>>  >line input at the same time, effectively making the DR-2d a four
>>  >channel recorder.
>>  >
>>I wasn't able to find mention of the mic and line inputs being
>>accessible at the same time and two stereo tracks being created. I
>>see the over-dubbing and mixing of mic and line inputs into one
>>stereo track,
>><http://www.tascam.com/i-3890-232-128-0-09E8C168.pdf>http://www.tascam.com/i-3890-232-128-0-09E8C168.pdf
>>There must be a trick I'm missing.
>
>Hi, Rob,
>
>Please look on page 44 under Dual Recording--there are multiple
>modes. Presumably the external mic jack will work, but they are not specific.
>
>I, too, am looking for a good 4-channel recorder that won't break the
>bank. The Zoom H2 is presumably modifiable, but something like this
>could be better out of the box for not much more money.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Richard
>
>Richard L. Hess <richard%40richardhess.com>
>Aurora, Ontario, Canada
><http://www.richardhess.com/>http://www.richardhess.com/
>Detailed contact information:
><http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm>http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm

Thanks John, Richard and Oryoki--

Page 44 does read pretty clear. I'm still a little hesitant though.
Seems like four channel recording capability is something Tascam
would clearly advertise-- especially compared to the minor value of
the safety copy feature they're touting. I'd want to confirm that it
records two separate stereo tracks from two inputs before committing
to a "no return" deal with a retailer. Two steps down on page 44 in
options under "Level Ctrl,"  there's a (LMT) Limiter mode with
wording that's confusing me. I wish I saw "Manual Record Level"
specified. I do see mention of automatically starting a new file when
the (selectable) file size limit is reached which is a very important
feature for some recordists.

Assuming the DR-2d  does record the mic input and the line inputs on
two separate files, this would accommodate one stereo quality input
(with external pre), but, as Oryoki points out, the quality hit from
the noise of the 3.5 mic input would be a significant if one was
thinking of recording in surround with high gain in quiet locations.
Maybe someone will come across this discussion and report back about
the 4 channel recording capability.

As for the H2, I assume that down the recording chain from the two
mic inputs are "clean," line-level input stages, but those circuits
are probably inaccessible within chips don't ya bet? Once we're into
using line-inputs, the reliability of the recorder's data handling
rates way up there after manual gain and auto new file starting. I'm
currently not rating my H2 as high in the data reliability department
as I once did. Rob D.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: