Re: Another option for pocket surround...

Subject: Re: Another option for pocket surround...
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am ((PST))
I wonder if its as hackable as the H2?

My H2 sounds great since I replaced the internal mics with two 3.5mm sockets.
and built the brass wonder, or a quad (omni) capsule dipole mic:
http://urlme.net/audio/DSCF3344.jpeg

Front/Left & Right are differenced to from the figure 8, all capsules summed
for the omni, or mixed with the front/rear figure 8, or any combination for
adjustable patterns including blumlein.

Downsides is the processing chain, most of that Ive offloaded to a hand crafted
reaper js plugin with quad, dual ms, or blumlein output. Another issue is the
capsules need to be as identical as possible / response to within 0.5dB, 2 dB
at a pinch or with a preEQ fix before the rest of the matrixing.

Ive not had that much luck with the ambisonic plugins, they do work - but Ive
found it easier to setup a processing chain pre-eq, matrix lr to ms, eq shuffle
(right/difference) eq, ms matrix to lr. Using two of the side capsules for less
noise, the result is a coincident set of cardioids.

Using it as a dipole mic via a stereo recorder with two identical capsules also
works well.
I must test it next to the Rode NT4 to get some idea of its ability recorded
via the Sony D50.

BR
Mike.