Re: BTS: Ramblings BBC4 video clip that includes the audio recordi

Subject: Re: BTS: Ramblings BBC4 video clip that includes the audio recordi
From: "Richard Folwell" richardfolwell
Date: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm ((PST))
I think it is possible to teach someone with appropriate aptitudes but
with no previous experience to do a focussed professional task not
involving special motor/language/etc skills to a  reasonable level in a
very short time - usually no more than an hour or so, maybe a few days
for more complex things.  Of course there is no way that you can teach
someone to become an experienced boom microphone operator in a short
time, but the idea is simply to avoid basic blunders.

Given that budget restraints mean that one person has to be both the
sound recordist and the producer, which is the easier way to
cross-train?  Is it easier to train a skilled sound recordist to be an
effective producer or to train an experienced producer to become a
competent sound recordist?

It seems that the problem with the soundtrack on the "Behind the Scenes"
video was that it was a bodged job.  Unless I missed something there was
a stereo recording from the hand-held boom mic, the presenter had a
lavalier mic, and there might have been some recording from the camera
position.  The lav feed was then dumped onto either the right or left
channel without any obvious attempt to balance the result - sometimes it
is on one side, sometimes on the other.  The words from the other
participants seem to come from the boom stereo recording only.

I listened to Episode 2 Series 14 of "Ramblings", and that seemed to be
nicely balanced between the voices of the presenter and the other
participants.  Also an interesting use of fade-outs to short periods of
silence which made the background noise (mostly traffic - the UK seems
to be a difficult place to get away from traffic noise!) in the majority
of the sections more bearable over the course of the programme.  Maybe
different people did audio post-production work in each case?

Have I missed anything important?  Am just starting with audio recording
and am keen to learn as much as I can.

Richard