Re: Olympus LS-10 Digital Recorder: Unwanted Clicks and Pops

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-10 Digital Recorder: Unwanted Clicks and Pops
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:03 pm ((PST))
The LS10 is overly sensitive with its own LCD Screen let alone the 11kV tra=
nsformer mentioned below.

Were you recording with the LS10's internal mics or using external?
A small recording sample may help, - although "quite close" may mean you an=
d the
recorder were well in the electric field of the transformer lines.

http://www.emfs.info/Sources+of+EMFs/Overhead+power+lines/

11 kV, 25 m to the side, 10 to 20 Volts per meter.

I really have no idea at what point the internal or external mic's are affe=
cted by power lines. I tend to keep clear of them and always keep my tinfoi=
l hat on :)

BR
Mike.

--- In  "greg.winterflood" <=
.> wrote:

> I know this subject was discussed by The Group in February 2009, but I ca=
n't see a definitive answer to the problem. Today, for Valentine's Day, I w=
as given my first series of clicks and pops. These occurred separately, in =
the Right and Left channels. The one thing that was different from my previ=
ous recording locations, was that I was quite close to an 11,000 Volt power=
 line transformer. A Peaceful Dove (Geopelia placida) was calling from one =
of the high tension lines. The recorder was mounted on a small metal and pl=
astic tripod sitting on the footpath. I am wondering if the presence of the=
 transformer and power lines may have something to do with the generation o=
f the clicks and pops?