Re: NTG3 and high frequency sounds with FR2-LE

Subject: Re: NTG3 and high frequency sounds with FR2-LE
From: "John Lundsten" lundsten_john
Date: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:24 pm ((PST))
  Mike Rooke wrote:
| still looking for a decent figure 8 that doesn't break the piggy
| > bank to go with it, suggestions welcome.

 Emanuele Costantini
| It looks like a hammerhead shark but is pretty affordable and should
| sound very good.
|  Oktava MK-012 preamp with MK-012 figure of eight adaptor.
|
| http://www.oktava-shop.com/view_category.php?category=3D1
|
| I'm a fan of MK-012 and I just ordered the figure of eight head. In few
| days I can tell you how it sounds.

May be a good choice, it is probably the cheapest Fig8  going & IMO the
basic Oktava MK-012 sounds way better than it's price suggests. But no way=

with this crazy design have anything vaguely resembling phase coherence
between the +&- sides much above 1kHz!

The 2 cardioids used to create a Fig8 response are so far apart there is no=

way you are going to get positional accuracy on any transients or anything=

in the mid to hi frequency region. It may give some pretty interesting &
pleasant to the ears  results tho.

I guess it may be big enough to make a neat rig in standard windshields
problematic. That being so maybe a Rode NT2a could be a better option. Yes=

it is stupidly heavy ( I have remounted one in a much lighter package) but=

it sounds better than the Oktava, has lower noise & is dead cheap.
John L