Re: windscreen fur

Subject: Re: windscreen fur
From: "Russell Dawkins" airbornerecording
Date: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:30 am ((PST))
That is helpful - good for Rycote.

I made my own from some long-haired fabric I found at a fabric store.
I needed a lot for an outdoor orchestral recording and doing it
myself was the only way I could afford it.
I did buy the genuine Rycote article for the main stereo mic, though,
which turned out to be a good move.
Before I bought the material for the DIY covers, I checked for
transparency by holding it close to one ear and listening for HF drop
off.

Russell

Here is the answer I received from Rycote, which looks helpful:

Kevin - I received a note from Rycote regarding your DIY interest (we
are Redding Audio, the US Distributor for Rycote). There are two DIY
Kits that you can buy and here is a link (http://www.flickr.com/
photos/rycote/3065690262/in/set-72157616126597081/
) for you to see what I am speaking of. You have a choice of two
kits: one featuring the longer, Softie fur (Part # 055403, $33.00 Pro
Net Price), the other kit is using the shorter, Mini-Windjammer fur
(Part # 055402, $22.00 Pro Net Price). The Kits will come with the
cloth-backed fur, as well as a velcro strip. Unfortunately, you will
not find a Dealer that will have the Kits in stock. If you do not have
a favorite Rycote dealer, I can certainly give you a few
recommendations in your area. Thanks Kevin, and feel free for any
other questions.
Sincerely,
Mike DiMatteo
Customer Support

Redding Audio, Inc. 97 South Main Street Unit 10 Newtown, CT 06470
Phone: (203) 270.1808 Fax: (203) 270.2934 Web: www.reddingaudio.com

U.S. Distributor of Rycote Microphone Windshields, Schoeps Microphones,
Voice Technologies, Cable Techniques and Portabrace for Audio