Re: Infrasound recorder

Subject: Re: Infrasound recorder
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:44 pm ((PST))
Gopi,

Many inexpensive pocket recorders go that low, although they probably won't say
so in the specs.  What follows applies to the line level inputs only; the
microphone inputs on portable recorders are frequently rolled off at 50 Hz or
so as a matter of course, and assumes that you transfer the files directly from
the recorder and don't use the analog outputs.

The Microtrack 2496 (the first one, not the revised model) is 0.65 dB down at
10 Hz by direct measurement, which means that it is probably less than 3 dB
down at 5 Hz.  The Zoom H-2 is down about 1 dB at 10 Hz, but it's down 7 dB at
20 Hz at the microphone inputs.  I don't usually test down below 10 Hz because
my main piece of test gear is limited to 10 Hz, but I could extend the
measurements right down to DC.

So I'd recommend that you pick a recorder that you like and then see if you can
get someone (like me) to test out its recording bandwidth just to make sure
that it does what you need.  Note that if you really need good response down to
5 Hz it should be fairly easy to modify most digital recorders to have extended
bandwidth on the low end.

Eric