[Sun Jan 31] [Event] Marincello Unsoundwalk

Subject: [Sun Jan 31] [Event] Marincello Unsoundwalk
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:20 pm ((PST))
Hi everyone!

Aaron Ximm here, co-chair of Bay Area Sound Ecology.

I wanted to let you know about a sound walk I will be facilitating
next Sunday in the Marin Headlands, just north of the Golden Gate
bridge in California.

WHAT: Marincello Unsoundwalk
WHEN: Sunday, January 31, 2:15 pm
WHERE: Meet at the Marin Headlands Visitor Center in Rodeo Valley
WHAT: A two-hour walk through the Rodeo Valley with formal stops for
focused listening
WHY: To collectively reflect on the fact that the Rodeo Valley, today
a treasure of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, was very
nearly the site of a 35,000 person planned community named Marincello.
The walk will be mostly on graded fire road, with a decent but not
technical or strenuous climb.

Free -- but getting a copy of the related book is encouraged. Sharing is fine!

This is the first of twelve soundwalks I will be leading (once a
month, along the same route) in the Rodeo Valley this year. Doing so
is the realization of a project I began as an artist in residence at
the Headlands Center for the Arts last fall.

The project, and walk, are described in a book I recently completed,
also called Marincello Unsoundwalk, which is now available on Lulu:

 http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/marincello-unsoundwalk/7603772

Copies will be available for people who RSVP and available at cost.

Having a copy of the book is not necessary to come on the walk, but it
is meant to serve as a journal for recording one's experiences, and as
a physical reminder of the experience. I consider the completion of
the book by people who take the walk described to be the realization
of the project.

The book is itself a guide for a self-directed walk -- but I do feel
there are advantages to doing the walk in a group. Doing so allows
discussion and comparison of experience; and a formal public event may
serve as motivation for actually making such a walk even in inclement
weather.

Below are further notes, as posted on Facebook at the Quiet American
fan page (Quiet American is my project based on field recordings).

If you are a Facebook user please RSVP there; otherwise, write me at
aaron [dot] ximm [at] gmail [dot] com

---

Marincello Unsoundwalk: a guided walking tour through an invisible city.

This is one of a series of twelve monthly walks in 2010.

Increasingly forgotten or secret history to contemporary residents of
the Bay, Marincello, California, was a planned community of 35,000
proposed, approved, and begun in the Marin headlands in the mid-60's.

Amid fierce public debate, development stalled, and Marincello was
ultimately blocked by opponents; the land it would have occupied
became part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

Marincello Unsoundwalk is two things: a new book by Aaron Ximm, and an
experience.

The experience is your walk through the hills of the Marin headlands
just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, contextualized by an awareness
that the trails you walk very nearly led through the heart of a vast
planned community.

The book is a full-color 65-page trail guide, archival history, and
journal for recording your experiences (sonic and otherwise) during
your walk(s) along a specific route through invisible Marincello.

The book exists to facilitate and document the experience.
Participation does not require a book -- but the experience, and
project, are incomplete without the participation it allows.

Copies of the book will be available at each guided walk for $25, but
theey are on demand, so please RSVP.

Each walk will take about two hours, including numerous formal stops
for listening on both the ascent and descent. There is a moderate
climb involved, but the trail is a wide well-graded fire road, so if
condition allow this event should be wheelchair and stroller friendly.

The walk begins and ends at the Marin Headlands Visitor Center, on the
west end of Rodeo Valley. If the weather cooperates, those interested
are invited to continue along Rodeo Lagoon for sunset at Rodeo Beach.

Attendance of more than one (or all) of the walks this year is
encouraged! (With care only one book will be needed for many walks.)

RSVP very appreciated!

--

  quietamerican.org
  oneminutevacation.org

  83% happy
   9% disgusted
   6% fearful
   2% angry

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: