Phantom Power. Question from The Ghost Who Walks :-)

Subject: Phantom Power. Question from The Ghost Who Walks :-)
From: "greg.winterflood" greg.winter=
flood
Date: Sat Jan 2, 2010 9:32 pm ((PST))

I've recently acquired an Olympus LS-10 Linear PCM Recorder. I used to use =
a Marantz PMD 222 single channel tape recorder and an Audio-Technica AT815b=
 shotgun mike. I've noticed talk about Phantom Power on the list, but don't=
 quite understand it. I have checked the specifications of my mike. It take=
s Phantom Power. I've opened the mike and found that after ~6 years of dis-=
use the leak proof 1.5V battery in the mike base was intact. Phew!

I am interested in obtaining advice on using the AT815b as a single channel=
 [the LS-10 Instruction Book says: Left Channel]input into the LS-10 using =
Phantom Power. The Output Connector of the mike is a 3-pin XLRM. I have sol=
dering skills.

My reason for asking is: Will I see a significant difference in recording b=
ird calls with the use of Phantom Power over and above using an AA battery =
in the mike itself? The mike 'specs' say that Phantom Power gives a Dynamic=
 Range of 106dB, 1kHz at Max SPL, whereas the battery gives a Dynamic Range=
 of 91dB.

I am not sure of the significance of this difference, having always been co=
nfused by logarithims and dB!

My main interest is in recording backyard bird calls. Birds often alight in=
 several large eucalypt trees around my house and my idea is to point the s=
hotgun mike at a single tree for a prolonged period.

My Fluke multimeter tells me I have 47.5V DC coming from the telephone wall=
 socket. Apart from inverting that and sending it back to the grid at a pro=
fit, any ideas?

Cheers

Greg
Alice Springs