Re: DI box user comparison

Subject: Re: DI box user comparison
From: "Emanuele Costantini" lamacchiacosta
Date: Sat Jan 2, 2010 4:10 pm ((PST))
Scott Fraser wrote:

> <<following the recent need of more DI box, I did a simple comparative
> test between BSS AR-133 and ART Xdirect.
> Let me now what you think.>>
>
> Not at my studio I've only listened to your samples on headphones
> through my laptop soundcard, not a high end converter, but the noise
> spectrum is what one may imagine given the price difference. I'm
> baffled by the mains hum in the BSS as that indicates some issue other
> than self noise. I can tell you that the BSS is a top flight fully
> professional DI in use in the highest grade studios & stages world
> wide. The ART line of equipment, on the other hand, is very low budget
> entry level gear, designed to minimal standards & failing in general
> to stand up against pro level equipment. I have used the BSS box
> numerous times & it is superb. The few occasions I have had to use ART
> mic preamps, not this direct box specifically, have revealed their
> serious shortcomings for professional applications. For an alternative
> to the BSS I can highly recommend the Countryman FET85 direct box. It
> is built to extremely high standards, is very transparent, & I believe
> costs a good bit less than the BSS.
>
> Scott Fraser

Hi Scott,

many, many thanks for your input.
I'll try to do a spectrum comparison later on as soon as I have a bit
more time for it.
I would like to clear that I agree with you and I put my comparison for
pure curiosity and to play a bit with the stuff I've got
without attempting to demonstrate a DI is better than the other.
Is clear that the comparison would be naive and unfair.
If, at that time, I had the budget to buy something similar to BSS I
would buy BSS.
The ART one costs 5 times less and that was affordable to me at the
very moment I needed to buy two more.
My test is basically something for me to learn what differences in sound
to expect using both the boxes on the same recordings from now on,
and I wanted public to share experiences. I hope it helps.

As a BSS user, have you ever encountered the hum issue though?
I've got a couple of them, both with the same issue.
It seems an electro-magnetic thing because I can improve it turning the
box around 90=B0 to minimize it a bit more.

Thanks so much again.

--
Emanuele Costantini

Sound, Media Engineer