Re: Keeping recording system warm in cold temps?

Subject: Re: Keeping recording system warm in cold temps?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Jan 2, 2010 4:58 pm ((PST))
At 3:03 PM -0700 1/2/10, Thomas Ashcraft wrote:

>Seeking advice:
>
>I am recording dusk to dawn in unattended twelve hour long nightly
>sessions, outdoors in a battery operated situation with temperatures
>down to 10 degrees F. I keep my Edirol R-09HR recorder and Tekkeon
>external battery pack in a tupperware box. I would like to have
>something to keep my box and equipment temperatures warmer.
>
>Can anyone recommend a method or product? ( Also, my recording site is
>not near an electric line or outlet.)
>
>Thanks in advance for your reply.
>
>Thomas Ashcraft
>New Mexico

Hi Thomas--

For how many days in a row unattended?

For one night, might be as simple as slipping the Tekkeon battery in
a old mitten and wrapping that up with a couple of chemical hand
warmers with some fabric.  Slip the Edirol in the other mitten and
put both units inside of an air-tight, insulated "bag."  There are
commercial cooler bags with an aluminized fabric layer. If you had a
way to pre-heat it, a small soapstone would  also supply all the heat
you need for overnight.
http://www.vermontsoapstone.com/acquiring_bedwarmer.asp n

Or, 10 degrees isn't that cold, you could probably get by with a 50%
higher capacity battery or parallel wire two Tekkeon's.

For days at a time, if you want to get fancy, here's a company that
makes battery-powered heaters:
http://www.thermo-llc.com/heaters/battery_operated_heater.html. Rob D.