Re: MS-stereo and figure-8 mics

Subject: Re: MS-stereo and figure-8 mics
From: "oystercoveau" oystercoveau
Date: Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:37 pm ((PST))

It's interesting that our appreciation of different stereo configurations
changes over time. I listened to The Beatles "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul"
albums recently after not playing them for 20 years or so, and found the stereo
placements rather odd, so much so that I tweaked the panning on my mixer to
give (for me) a more "normal" mix (sacrilege I know, but hard-panned voices
just don't sound right!) - and in headphones it was even worse. I subsequently
found out that apart from "Let It Be" and "Abbey Road", all the Beatles albums
were meant to be mono anyway.

So over the next few months I will try the various stereo options for recording
in the field and see what 'lights my fire'. I think that final mix flexibility
will be a major imperative, and as long as it can be done live into a 2-channel
recorder it will be interesting (and fun) to test the various techniques.

Keith
Tasmania