Re: MS-stereo and figure-8 mics

Subject: Re: MS-stereo and figure-8 mics
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Jan 2, 2010 9:00 am ((PST))
At 2:02 AM +0000 1/2/10, Grant Finlay wrote:

>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>"oystercoveau" <> wrote:
>>....I guess the reason why I like the idea of MS is the more
>>focused centre mike supported by adjustable stereo ambiance from
>>the sides....
>>  Keith
>
>Yep, Thats the very reason why I use M/S. Sometimes it's not as
>spacious as I'd like, thats why I'm looking at getting a stereo set
>of mkh8040's as well.

Grant and Keith--
In case it has bearing on the discussion about options, one can
adjust the mid/side balance and separately adjust the EQ for the mid
and sides of the stereo image of any stereo array in post. Powerful
stuff. Recent discussion about this: http://tinyurl.com/ylkm2h7  An
example of a mixer patch to do this: http://tinyurl.com/yz43s5v

Make me think that one can employ a spaced array for its desirable
attributes with little or no compromise in control over the stereo
image,.. :-)  Rob D.